Tractor Farm and Family
alleyyooper

The honey house.

alleyyooper

We built the honey house when Michigan passed the law requireing a licenced honey house to sell in places other than our door step.

their are all kinds of regulations to get a licence.

winterhoneyhousesmall.jpg

We could not afford the whole works at once so it is a work in progress.

We have it all done now except the sealed floor, hot and cold running water.

I needed more light in the uncapping area I discovered last year when we were doing a lot of the extraction in the late evenings and night.

Waxtub2.jpg

09-22-07Allookatthathoney.jpg

I didn't want to run a curcuit just for one light 50 feet from the panal box. I put in a couple more duplexs then did a loop curcuit light switch. I've did those loop curcuits several times and are good for lighting a room and having the switch by the door but the wireing running from the back of the room. Saturday It just excaped my mind how to do it. I rewired it a couple of times before giving up and resorting to a internet search. I got it finished up Sunday only to find out the light bar I had bought last fall isn't working on one bar. Glad it has a two year warrenty on it.

Any way we are just about ready to do or extracting once it cools down again.

They just redid the law and we can now sell at farmers markets with a label on the container saying the honey was processed at a unlicenced fucility.

97F yesterday.

:D Al

alleyyooper

Here the honey house was 5 years ago August 20th 2005.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I though I was going to have to load all this up and take it to our UPPER Michigan properties. Our county building code athorty and the water ways watch dogs.

But after paying for a stakeing permit, a water ways with in 500 feet of the building area permit, and My blowing my cool at the building athourthy office we got the green light finally after 3 and a half long weeks.

One of the jokes was the 14 inch dia holes for the 6 inch post.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Another joke was they told us to go to the local lumber yard and buy some 9 inch pills for the bottom of the holes. The lumber yard asked who in the world we had talked to as they had never heard of such a thing. I went to the building athourty again and lost my cool once more. Just mix up redi mix and dump in the hole they said that time.

ry%3D400

SHARTEL

This is gettin' inerestin' !

Boy, do I know the feeling of loosing one's temper dealing with permits and the planning commission :mad:.

Great pictures, Al!

alleyyooper

I told the clown who came to inspect the holes I would have the building up by Labor Day. He asked how many guys were going to help me and I told him just the wife and I were going to do it.He was shocked when he came the day after labor day to give it his blessing all ruffed in.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Kares mom calle done evwening and asked her what she was going to be doing the next day. Kare said I was slave driving her on the honey house building.

Mon asked what building? They showed up the next morning with hammers in hand. Plus all the next week.

ry%3D400

alleyyooper

Little did we know at the time dad would live only 4 more years. Kare and I both cherish this time we had with him as he had just found out he was cancer free.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I had went to help a friend with a queen less colony one day. On the way home I found this door in the trash to be picked up the next day. I figured it would come in handy one day so I let it follow me home. Little did I know how nice it would look on the honey house.

ry%3D400

The windows are in place. I had bought them at Lowe's seprate from the pole barn package, from Big L Lumber about 150 miles from our home. Even paying the $300. delivery fee the building was $1800 less than any of the 4 local lumber yards.

ry%3D400

tom j

The honey house looks good .. the only thing Bonnie wants to know is why you built it so far away from were it goes ????? she asked , ""Will he have a hard time with the delivery ??? From MI to MN is a long way to move it all put together ,, but he must know what he's doing , RIGHT ..""

like you say the times when her Mom and Dad did things with/for the two of you , will be the good memory's .. A lot of them will be just that they were there ... I remember when we moved out here ,, my dad planted a tree ,, as he walked away after planting it .. I told Bon ( never told any one other then Bon ) " that is the last place I would of ever wanted a tree " but it stood there ..

If they didn't run you around like that , you would bee mad because they set there getting paid for doing nothing ,,, and would say heck I could do that ..

It takes them all year to come up with a way to confuse you like this

tom j

Did her Dad tell you like my dad told me,, we were building something and he went to cut a board for me ,, he came back handed me the board ,, I put it were I wanted it ,, and it was to short ,,, I turned and said its to short ,,, he came back with ,, yea I know ,, I cut that board three times , and its still to short ,,, I thought you could cut it once and see if you can get it longer .. he all ways said this anytime a board was cut to short ..

alleyyooper

Well Tom in 1953 after living in the basement of what was to some day have a house on top of it Mom and dad did build their home. dad did every thing except the plaster work (no dry wall in it) andf the cabnits in the kitchen.

Any way he kept remarking how much easier the house wouldhave been to build with my chop saw, cicular saw, router, table saw and trusses.

I got up early one morning and loaded all the trusses and set the ones on each end so I could run a line down the middle. When mom and dad showed up I was just finishing the south end one. they could npot believe I had loaded the trusses all by my self. Yes Kare was still in bed.

cC

ry%3D400

Funny thing about those trusses. the over hang was supposed to be one foot. Ended up 2 foot as they had ran out of the shorter trusses so sent the longer ones. The steel was short so when I calle dth elumber yard they said I was supposed to have been told to cut a foot off each side of the truss over hang.

We just added short sections of steel since every thing was down.

alleyyooper

Kare and I had worked late in the night after mom and dad had went home putting up the T1-11.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I had cut a pole in the woods with a Y at the top. Kare and her mom used it to help rool the trusses so the peak was up. While dad and I were setting andf nailing them Mom was bending over all the nails thru the purlins holding the T1-11. She got every dang one of them too. That inpressed the inspecter seeing all the nails clinched over.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

alleyyooper

First sheet of roof going up.

ry%3D400

First sheet down didn't like the 4 foot spaceing on the roof perlins. Every thing stopped till I went and got some more perlins to make the spaceing 2 foot.Glad it was near the end of the day.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

the 2 foot spacing provided much better support.

ry%3D400

One side finished.

ry%3D400

SHARTEL

Great pics and build, Al.

What do the clusters of cider block hanging from the corner (of the last three pics) do? They appear to be weighing down or counter balancing something...but what?

Shartel

alleyyooper

Post Number 9 second picture. The truss has a slight warp, the weight is to pull it down and over a two week time frame it did just that.

alleyyooper

Started the West side.

ry%3D400

Nearly finished with west side.

ry%3D400

Finished roof except for the steel.

ry%3D400

Peaks closed in and staining about half done.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

alleyyooper

The huge mistake for a honey house.

ry%3D400

the very first time we were extraction honey in the honey house it was raining. Soon when we were about half finished the sun came out,:shocked3::eek: so did the bees. Soon the air about us was filled with honey bees :eek::shocked3:inside the honey house. We should say I covered every thing as fast as I could, Kare had ran to get her helmit veil and gloves.

I started :confused2: looking for how the bees were getting in. that soffit has little vees for lack of a better term, the bees were going in those vees thru the small gap in the j channel inside the honey house.

Need less to say we finished extracting that year at night. When finished with the extraction I went around and caulked every one of those little vees Any gaps I found between the J channel and the soffit I filled from the inside with expanding foam. I found it finally bee tight last year.

tom j

the girls worked all summer to make that honey , and you come and grab it away from them , then you get upset :mad: when they come to see what the heck you are doing with it.:confused2::conf13::hilarious:

alleyyooper

Well Tom I didn't get upset over the girls bering in there to see what we were doing. Kare on the other hand was afraid and went to put on her helmit and viel gloves and the leg closers.

I just kept spinning away and was upset that so many girls were dieing when they went into the extractor.

We were using the two frame hand crank one.

We had bought earlier a 36 frame extractor but I could not get it to run with the genset for some reason.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The meter reader backed into the rock. If it had not been there she would have hit the honey house.

ry%3D400

tom j

yea I know what you mean when you say the girls go were they will get in the mix ,, we do a lot of stuff out side ( cooking , canning , wine , ) it keeps some of the mess out of the house .. And the girls always have to come around .. Bon don' mind the girls but them d### yellow jackets are the ones she hates , but she deals with them . now you said a sealed floor ,, what do they call a sealed floor ????? I don't know what they have for regs here in MN , but I'm sure its the same crap like you have in MI .. hows the temps there now ?? here its cool so you want to put a light jacket on ( in the 40s and 50s ) with a heck of a wind . no messing with the girls today or they will have a sting-fest .

alleyyooper

Tom I set out yellow jacket traps I make as soon as I start seeing them.

One day not long ago Kare came where I was working and did the one ringy dingy bit. Said I had to answer the phone thingy. So playing along she tells me she has bees in her hose wall what do I charge to remove them. I did my normal question routine, what did they look like, can you see the comb, how long have you been seeing them. she answers the questions so I tell her there is a $25.00 service charge for me to come see what she has since we can not say for sure they are honey bees. I'll give her an estmate on what the charge will be to get rid of them which the $25.00 will go to.

She showed me where they were going into the basement blocks beside a basement window. I charged her $4.00 dollars kept the $21.00 left and took her to dinner after I sprayed them with SPECTRASIDE PROa contack killer that last up to 4 weeks if it doesn't get washed off befroe.

Weather, so much nicer for sleeping and doing work outside. Yesterday no a bee waqs outside the hives, I looked at all 39 here in the yard. the high got to 65f but with the howling wind I bet there was a wind chill. there was a wind chill this morning. Temp was 46F felt like 44F.

When we only had the hives in the back yard Kare used to take pictures as I inspected the hives. No helmit or veil no gloves and some times even a short sleave blouse. A friend there one day told me I better get her a veil before she got stung in the eye. She covers up now all the time and acts afraid some times even.

TFF Admin

I like that lack of gutters to collect leaves and make a mess. Did you fill in around the sides of the honey house with gravel? How do you keep the water running off the roof from wearing a drip channel and washing out the soil?

Great thread by the way. I have been learning a lot from watching hour the construction progressed. :happy34:

alleyyooper

Tom forgot to mention the floor sealing. There are several ways to seal the concrete.we are going to use the epoxy floor paint method.

The inside of the honey house was back filled with sand and the outside was to but I left room for a top soil depth of 6 inches. Kare has plants planted all around the honey house except the front. those plants drink a lot of water and of course there is a groove about 4 inches deep where the roof run off lands. I had given thought to rain handlers but are a bit pricy when there are other stuff more important.

I HATE RAIN GUTTERS. Always coming loose, gathering every stray leaf and pine neddle the wind blows near them, devlopeing leaks and seams leaking too.

My house has them in front. Idiot who built, placed the front exit door right under a roof valley. Approch to the grarage is right under the eves too.

When a home is built with thought, land scaping is done properly there is no need for gutters.

Edited by alleyyooper

TFF Admin

It has been a long time since this thread got posted. Time to dust it off and do some follow up.

Al, I am getting to the SERIOUS point about building a honey house. Since you have been using your honey house the past few seasons, do you have any changes or recommendation that you would do or build differently?

I want to go with a similar size building with a concrete floor and built in drains. With 32 hives, NO WAY the wife is going to go along with doing the honey extracting in her kitchen again. :shocked3:

Edited by TFF Admin
spelling

alleyyooper

Only change I would make is build it bigger like 30 x 40 to start. I store my empty honey supers in the pole barn since there isn't enough room in the honey house for all of them. But with over 200 honey supers I suppose that is to be expected.

I also store all the extra 5 and 2 gallon pails in the pole barn.

I would also put a electric meter on the honey house, a stand alone meter rather than run wiring from the house.

Run some fixed piping from the honey pump across the ceiling to the holding tanks and have a wall between the extraction room and the room where I bring in the honey supers for extraction and add a fan to extract heat from the attic to push that heat down to help heat the honey to flow better during extraction.

All that can still be done except the start size. Not in a good area to add on either.

TFF Admin

It has been a long time coming with some time out for losses of family members, graduations from college, graduations from the Air Force Commissioned Officer School, and a frustrating loss of over 60 hives 3 years back but I am getting my act together and beginning the journey of moving to our large acreage and building a home/shop building.  In this case it will be one large building with our living quarter in about 1/3 of the building and the remaining part will be our farm shop/honey processing facility, apiary storage area.  

First thing I have to do is get the perk/construction permit but at the same time begin work on the upgrading and rebuilding the road accessing the property.  That in it's self is going to be a big job as I have over a mile of road which is already in fairly good condition but needs work.  I also need to talk to the power company to get an idea of cost to bring the power to the build site.  Many years ago, there was power back there but the power company removed the poles and line due to non-usage.  

There are a number of springs on the property but I need to talk to the well drilling people to go over drilling a new well vs. using the spring water.  

Yesterday he wife and I spent the afternoon at Lowes buying marking flags, marking/stripping paint, stakes, and flagging tape.  If the weather would either clear up and dry out or just hard freeze again, I have arranged to go to the build site with the builder to mark off the building, septic, drain fields, and potential well site.  

We are planning on building either a steel pole barn building or 100% steel building on a concrete slab but have to go over costs, pros & cons, and the required equipment that may have to be rented.  

Once I get started in earnest, I will start another thread and post pictures and comments.  This is going to be a big job but I am looking forward to it.  We have waiting and saved up for a LONG time to do this.  At 60 years old, I am not getting any younger and it is time to do it or just let it go.  We want to move to this location to get off the road we live on and hopefully have peace and quiet.  We are also working into our plans the things, and features that we will be a blessing for us in our coming and older years like having everything we use and need in our living quarters on the ground floor.  Insulation and the HVAC system will be in this category although I will probably still have wood furnace heat but have the furnace outside.  

Al, this honey house thread has been a BIG help as I have periodically reviewed it and taken notes.  I can hear it now "cha ching.......cha ching".  Building a home is never inexpensive but doing it right means hopefully doing things ONCE and brings the peace of mind and reliability that makes a good home.  

alleyyooper

So you are building a new home on a vacant property you bought.

:D       Al