Tractor Farm and Family
Sign in to follow this  
Jeffery_1965

New Hobby for Me

Jeffery_1965

Long time no post.  Thought it would be nice to see how the group is doing.  Here is a pic of my '52 Chev that I picked up in March this year.  Still a work in progress.  Has a '56 235 with the original Semi-Automatic Powerglide.  Looking to drop the front a couple inches and just have fun cruisin around.

Jeff

chevy.jpg

TFF Admin

Great to see you back Jeff!  Nice lookin' ride too!  How have you been doing?  Hope to see you more often.  

Jeffery_1965

Thanks for the comment on the car Randy.  Too good of a deal to pass up, so picked it up not running.  Had it going a few hours later, but found some maintenance issues that took about 6wks to iron out.  Runs pretty good now, just working on odds and ends.

Jeff

TFF Admin

Might some of those odds and ends include and LS motor?  :shocked3:

Jeffery_1965

What, and remove that powerhouse stovebolt?:gy:  Actually, if I change anything in the drivetrain, it will be that useless cast iron powerglide.  Per the user manual, it actually says for normal driving to just use drive all the time.  Since that 400lb hunk doesn't  shift on it's own, they expect you to just drive around on the torque converter. :hilarious:  I guess it was a boon back in the day, but today you better not pull in front of anyone that is within 1/4 mile of you.  I think a 2004r tranny would be a nice upgrade.

Jeffery_1965

Thanks Al.  It takes a decent picture, but it has  it's warts for sure.  I was waiting to find something that looked decent and didn't cost an arm and a leg.  I think I got lucky at $3500, even after putting some into it to ensure it won't leave me stranded anywhere.  That little 235 is sure a nice quiet, torquey motor.  I'm sure the car would feel completely different if it had a better transmission.  One of the previous owners even had a power rack and pinion installed, so it's not bad to drive, a bit floaty, but I can deal with that. :)  Next on the list is an electric fan for the radiator, as the newer '56 block mounts the fan about 3-4 inches lower than the earlier motor, so you don't get very good airflow at idle.

Jeff