TFF Admin

My First Attempt At Grafting Queen Cells

TFF Admin    41
TFF Admin

Last week with a great deal of help and instruction from a friend and fellow beekeeper, I made my first attempt at grafting queen cells.  I was told not to be expecting great success on my first attempt as technique and other things enter into this practice.......speaking of which practice is a key element.  Out of the 25 queen cells we grafted only 3 were capped and they were pretty small.  I used those 3 queen cells to start a three 3 frame queen castle nucs.   I will check on those in a week to see if the queen cells hatched and were successful with mating flights.  

While I removed the 3 queen cells, I grafted another 12 more queen cells hoping to do better this time.  More pics to come!  Enjoy!  :happy34:

1st Queen Graft Attempt May 8 2017 2.jpg

1st Queen Graft Attempt May 8 2017 3.jpg

1st Queen Graft Attempt May 8 2017 4.jpg

1st Queen Graft Attempt May 8 2017.jpg

alleyyooper    46
alleyyooper

I gave up trying to use a spoon and dip the larva out of the cell into the cups.

I use the cell punch method now and get 99% success rate doing it that way.

:D  Al

TFF Admin    41
TFF Admin

It DOES take a lot of technique to successfully graft a larva in the queen cell cup.  I am still practicing.  On my second try I got 3 of the 12 cells successfully.  At least my percentage was better the second time.  :)  A friend has been teaching and mentoring me on how to go about learning this technique.  He rears 100's of queen cells at a time and usually gets in the high 90 percentile range of successful grafts.  It is sure is cheaper than buying queens and you have more control on the quality this way.