Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flman

Bought a Transit

3 posts in this topic

Well my 2010 Sprinter with only 52K miles, spun a main bearing and seized up. Vehicle was good for the 1st 3 years and bad for the last 4. So instead of dumping over $10 grand into engine replacement for a headache van, I leased a 2017 Ford T-250 Transit in the highest and longest model. I decided to go against diesel this time, as it was the cause of all my problems on the 2010 Sprinter. I thought I would not be able to go back to gasser after 25 years of diesel. Got the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost, and that little gasser has plenty of torque and HP, puts my Sprinters to shame, twin turbos, direct inject it is practically a diesel with spark plugs.

I looked at the Dodge Promaster as it was the only thing in the same class with Sprinter, but I was not impressed with the FWD and the little engine you could hardly see when you opened the hood, glad I test drove the Promaster 1st.

Sorry for the delay in replying to you post Bob.  I have been overtaken with family evens and losses.  Really sorry to hear that your Sprinter crapped out on you and you got NO support from Dodge or Mercedes.  I would have thought that they would have stepped up and at least offered you some kind of good will assistance if the engine failure was not due to misuse or abuse.  Knowing you, I would not suspect abuse.  DId you have an employee driving it when the engine failure occurred?  In cases like this, since you were well under 100k, they would have offered to provide you with a replacement short block at no charge and you cover the labor.  

Glad to hear the Transit is working out well.  I was looking at those before I bought the Honda Pilot.  Looked like a very practical and efficient vehicle.  

Randy, I hope you got your life back in order the best you can?

MB wanted to offer me $2000 towards the purchase of a new crappy vehicle that starts rusting in 2 years. It was a relief to get away from that Sprinter, was no longer reliable after the first 3 years. I probably took a $20000 loss, and but got $7000 selling the Sprinter to Copart. In business it is only more money over the dam I guess?

I was driving it, just the same way I drove all vehicles in my close to 40 years of driving, in the Sprinter forum having a 3.0 V6 seize up like this is not all that uncommon.