Tractor Farm and Family
TFF Admin

How is your apiary doing this Spring?

TFF Admin

Hey Al & any other beekeepers, 

Have you had good enough weather to get out there and check on the girls?  How are they doing.  

Mine made it through the Winter fairly well but last week we had a sustained warm spell.  Weather got up into the 80's and the queens began laying.  A few days later a hard freeze occurred.  :frown:  I lost 15 nucleus colonies.  They all were doing well, the queen was laying and nearly all of them had brood but their numbers were low and still weak.  The 10 frame hives did OK as they had much larger populations.  My larger nucleus colonies survived but I will have my work cut out for me to replace them.  Before the hard freeze, I had plans to sell a few nucleus colonies.  That won't be happening now.  :conf5:

alleyyooper

We were doing OK in February, seconds warmest in record keeping history. Then March arrives as a lion and is still a lion, A little warmer but WET.

So don't know where we stand today. 

:D   Al

TFF Admin

The wife and I put out our last 50 lbs. of fondant in the hives to hopefully get the girls over the hump with this wild weather.  The 10 frame hives are doing MUCH better.  The high 80 degree temps followed by snow and a hard freeze last week not only wiped out 15 of my nucs, it destroyed nearly all of the plants blooming, just beginning to bloom, or in pre-bloom stages.  Fortunately there is chickweed, henbit, and ground ivy plants the managed to survive and are now in full bloom.  

TFF Admin

It is a bit early for Spring but may as well be with the crazy warm temperatures we have been having.   Last Saturday early morning it was 72 degrees at 2 am!   These warm temps have been pushing my bees to consume what stores they have so I fed them 900 lbs. of sugar last month in the form of syrup which they have just about totally consumed.  

Last Friday I finished feeding them another 225 lbs. of Mann Lake bulk Winter Pro Patty mix that I buy in 50 lb. buckets.  Hopefully that will hold them until Spring and the buildup.  

Have all of my hives wrapped up and insulated as best I can with either Bee Cozy's or Reflectix bubble wrap insulation and I put the Mann Lake Wintering Inner cover with a 1 inch thick sheet of urethane foam insulation on top.  I put an Immerie Shim with an upper entrance knotch under each of the Wintering inner covers which makes for a nice 3/4 square upper entrance/condensation vent.  on the top of the hive.  

In a week or two they will all get one last oxalic acid vapor mite treatment for the Winter.  I will be trying out my new Pro Vap 110 to do this with along with my new Honda EU2000 Inverter generator that I added an hour meter/tachometer and a magnetic oil dipstick to.  

I have 3 Mity Mite Killers that I will also be testing once the temperatures warm up and stay at least around 60 degrees.  

So.  What's going on in your apiary right now???