Charles

New and green as can be .

4 posts in this topic

This is my 1st tractor purchase so any info would be great.  I'm looking for a 35hp 4wd with a bucket . Pushing snow and a little work around the house . Any suggestions and why , thanks 

I would talk to TFF Admin and he'll get you pointed in the right direction.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:47 PM, Charles said:

This is my 1st tractor purchase so any info would be great.  I'm looking for a 35hp 4wd with a bucket . Pushing snow and a little work around the house . Any suggestions and why , thanks 

I bought a Kioti DK45SE back in 2013, 45 engine HP, 36 PTO HP, hydrostatic, cab, 2 rear hydraulic remotes, with a loader in 2012.  This was primarily for mowing 12 acres, plus some dirt work.  I've really been happy with it.  That said, the answer to your question is, it depends.

How many acres do you have to maintain?  Will you be mowing regularly, and how much of your property?  What brands are represented in your area?  (I had at least twelve makes within 50 miles or so.)  What is the reputation of each dealer?  List all of the tasks you want to do with your tractor, and the priority of each - most important to least.  Decide what size implements you need to do each task, and then the sizing of the tractor will soon become more apparent.  If you can get your work done in a reasonable time with 4' implements, you may not need a tractor that big; if you need 6' implements, you may need a larger tractor.

Once you've decide the size tractor you really need and want, and whether you can go used or want new, you need to go to all your local dealers and see what tractors they have that will fill your need.  While you are there, evaluate the dealer - not just his sales guy, but his shop, his parts department, how well he knows his product.  I was able to narrow down my choices from at least a dozen to three, and then got bids from them for the exact configuration and attachments I wanted.  In my case it was a no-brainer from that point - one tractor was $10K less than the competition.  Otherwise I might have a Massey Ferguson or a Kubota.

Good luck with your tractor hunting, and have fun doing it!

Fred

P.S.  Welcome to TFF!

P.P.S.  This is my first tractor too,  If you want to, you can read about my selection efforts in this thread:  http://forum.tractorfarmandfamily.com/topic/2193-choosing-my-new-tractor/?page=1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:47 PM, Charles said:

Wow!  Don't know how I missed this post.  I have been really busy around the farm but checking in and I guess I flat out missed it.  My apologies!  Charles, are you looking to buy a new or used tractor?  I own a tractor that meets exactly the specs you layed out.  It is a 2002 John Deere 4410 eHydro 4x4 with FEL.  I bought it with 8.6 hours on it and have had it for about 14 years.  It has been pretty much trouble free with the exception of the battery outgassing corrosive gasses on the oil cooler.  I change to a sealed battery fixed that.  I currently have an oil leak in the right rear final drive axle housing but for now it is far cheaper to just keep adding oil than to have it repaired. 

One thing I would not get after 14 years of owning this tractor is get the eHydro.  It works well for the most part but I just don't like the slight delay in pedal input.  I think the John Deere 4400 would be better in this respect.  It is pretty much the same tractor but a little older but with real hydrostatic drive. 

If you are willing to travel to pick up a tractor, you may be able to find one in very good condition.  Try keeping any eye on Tractor House.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/10578691/2001-john-deere-4400

If the eHydro does not bother you, the 4410 is a very good tractor as well.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/10613383/2004-john-deere-4410

I wouldn't limit my choices to John Deere.  There are a lot of good brands out there, Mahindra, Kubota, and Kioti (as mentioned above) come to mind.  Find you local dealer and see if you can arrange a test drive and get a GOOD feel for how the dealer stands behind their equipment.  Dealer support is VERY VERY important.  Having a dealer locally makes getting maintenance and support much more accessible be close.