Tractor Farm and Family
alleyyooper

I'm a bee keeper again.

alleyyooper

With the impending operation to repair my tired wore out knees we decided to sell our bees last winter. Of course I was not going to sell a pig in a poke so all sales would be final April 1st 2016 when the bees were known to be alive in the hive and the queen laying. Buyer got one screen bottom board per colony, one deep with bees and laying queen, hive top feeder, intercover and outer cover. They also got a phone number in case they had any problems, A sheet of what to do and when to do it and when they came for them help loading them. Must be gone by April 10th.

All were gone by the 8th so now I am no longer a bee keeper per say.

I got all the dead outs from all the yards and brought them home and the second deeps of all the sold colony's. I got them all sorted out and saved all the new comb frames that didn't look so bad. got them stored away. All that is left it stuff I plan on melting all the wax from stacked by the solar melter.

So I am out doing some trimming out front and around the solar melter which I finished. Went to put the trimmer away and hear that unmistakable sound of a honey bee swarm in the sky. They decided to take up resident in one of the stacks of deeps had. Thankfully they picked a short stack so it won't be hard to move them later once they settle in.

I think I can handle one or two colonies even after I get my right knee done in August.

:D  Al

TFF Admin

Don't ya just love it when the bees catch themselves?  :happy34:  Congratulations on the save and getting back in the business. 

alleyyooper

Ya I love it. I contacted a friend in SEMBA who once told me he had some from up my way in his summer bee keeping class.

He told me it was a lady and lives a 1/4 mile south of me on my road. Bet those bees came from there.

:D   Al

TFF Admin

How are is swarm hopefully now a full hive doing Al?  Were you able to split this hive and make 1 or 2 more during last season?  

alleyyooper

No I was not able to split the swarm.  Hopeing it makes it thru the winter. Winter has been tough with well below normal temps.

I am even fearing running out of fire wood to heat my house. Been cutting a lot of dead Elm and Ash I can get too. 

:D   Al