Tractor Farm and Family
bontai Joe

Finally getting my house fixed

bontai Joe

I bought a new modular house on a one acre lot back in 1992. The front porch and rear deck were built by the mason that did the basement. He sure wasn't a carpenter. The deck and porch were both ugly but serviceable and it was just me living there, so I figured I'd fix 'em up later. Well, later turned into 23 years, and the rear deck rotted off the house about 2 years ago, the front porch is just as bad. I'm not the spring chicken I once was and health issues now keep me from doing the work myself. But I'm now able to use my inheritance to hire someone to fix my house. I am ashamed to show you photos of how bad it is right now. The rim joist that the deck and porch were attached to have both rotted away due to no flashing or protection of any kind. Both my front door and back door need to be replaced as they have rot damage as well. I am also toying with the idea of ripping out the 23 year old cheap crap carpet and getting laminate floor installed since there is some floor repairs to be made near the doors. My wife is totally useless to help me with any of this work. She has many talents and wonderful qualities, but using tools is not on her list. And if I were to try to do it alone, I would be at least a year getting it done, plus risking what is left of my health. By hiring a contractor to come in, I can see this all get done in a couple of weeks and then we can enjoy the deck for the rest of the summer and many more summers to come. So far I have had 2 contractors come out and give me quotes and I picked one to start the job. Still have to sit down with him and pick out doors, deck colors, railing design, etc. These guys are licensed, insured, and come with recommendations.

TFF Admin

I know how putting things off for a little while turns into a big long while. Our house is a constant work in progress of upgrades, repairs, undoing halfass, but over the years we are gradually getting things done.

I loving having a deck or porch to sit on and BBQ. The only thing I have learned over the years about decks is that they are a LOT nicer if they have good cover to keep the sun from bleaching everything out and making it so hot while out on the deck.

We are DONE with carpet and will be replacing it with the hardest type of flooring we can find, maybe some type of oak or bamboo. Wood floors are a LOT easier to keep clean.

For now, we are expanding our apiary and housing upgrades of any major magnitude will have to wait until we get our apiary where we want it.

bontai Joe

"By hiring a contractor to come in, I can see this all get done in a couple of weeks and then we can enjoy the deck for the rest of the summer and many more summers to come"

Well, it took most of last summer for the contractor to finish the deck and front porch, and then a couple of months went by before they did the laminate flooring. I sure was optimistic about getting it all done in a couple of weeks. The final product is pretty nice. But they didn't do some easy cosmetic stuff that ticked me off. Stuff like removing the stapled tags from the end of the deck boards,and leaving 2 bags of garbage that was supposed to go with them. We like the laminate flooring. It is Pergo from Lowes and was on sale for $2.49 a sq. ft. It came with a lifetime warrantee. It looks nice, certainly better than the 20 plus year old ratty carpet did. I got a new gas grill for the deck, and we have enjoyed sitting outside a few days before it got to be over 90 degrees every day.

TFF Admin

Home improvement projects have a way of dragging out on you.  I can understand that Joe.......I have a bunch of them that I have not gotten around to yet as well.  Sometimes it just works out better if you can find a good contractor who can the bulk of the job done and get things over the hump so to speak.  Our carpets are shot too.  We will be replacing them with hardwood floors too when we get around to it.  We enjoy our gas grill BUT ONLY for the cooking part.  With temps well into the 90's and heat indexes well into the 100's we cook on the grill outside to give the A/C a break but eat it inside.  Even 80 degrees inside feels like walking into a refrigerator from outside lately. 

Good to hear from you Joe.  Its been awhile.  I have been busy busy with looking after over 100 beehives and building hive boxes, painting, and all that goes with beekeeping.  Sorry to the late reply.  Hope to see you here more often.