Tractor Farm and Family
Dougster

Poverty sucks!!!

Mopar1973Man

Smoky start is a sign of glow plug or grid heater issues. I normally don't even bother waiting for the initial Wait To Start I just nail the key and go for it. I'll get i puff of black smoke and clear afterwards.

As for mixing you might have to tune your mixture ratio for your tractor. I know for most older stuff 128:1 ratio is find for most stuff. Newer common rail like it a bit lighter at 200:1 ratio.

TFFAdmin is right about Opti-lube but remember its also a cetane booster as well. But it did score better on the HFRR scores. Also take notice to the fact it must be ship to you and Opti-lube isn't available in most stores. So now back up a second and think about the reduction of BTU's to the gains of HFRR are you going to gain from this? :conf13:

Like myself I've got 2 chainsaws, a weed wacker and few other 2 cycle engines so I always have a few gallons of 2 cycle oil around the shop.

Just a bit of braggin'

BlueChip's Web Site

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html

Recently, as of 2014, we have been convinced that this sensor DOES effect drivability and performance. We got this information from callers that have learned otherwise from a smart guy on the internet, who's website is www.mopar1973man.com. Since he has it all documented and explained, we recommend using him and his website for enlightenment, and do not want to exploit or duplicate his good work!

Dougster
Smoky start is a sign of glow plug or grid heater issues. I normally don't even bother waiting for the initial Wait To Start I just nail the key and go for it. I'll get i puff of black smoke and clear afterwards.

No worries here. :happy34: I've continued paying close attention and the home heating oil isn't acting or sounding any different than the auto-grade diesel I had been using. :cool44:

As for mixing you might have to tune your mixture ratio for your tractor. I know for most older stuff 128:1 ratio is find for most stuff. Newer common rail like it a bit lighter at 200:1 ratio.

I'm not sure how to tune anything. :conf5: Best I can hope to do is follow the instructions on the label and hope for the best. :happy34:

TFFAdmin is right about Opti-lube but remember its also a cetane booster as well. But it did score better on the HFRR scores. Also take notice to the fact it must be ship to you and Opti-lube isn't available in most stores. So now back up a second and think about the reduction of BTU's to the gains of HFRR are you going to gain from this? :conf13:

As you point out, Opti-Lube is not easy to find. :conf13: I haven't seen it anywhere yet. :frown:

Like myself I've got 2 chainsaws, a weed wacker and few other 2 cycle engines so I always have a few gallons of 2 cycle oil around the shop.

A few gallons??? :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: The poor old Dougster buys it 2 ounces at a time. :D And 2 ounces lasts me months. :D A gallon would be a lifetime supply for the poor old Dougster. :gen17:

Just a bit of braggin'

BlueChip's Web Site

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html

Very cool. :happy34: Nice to be so graciously recognized. :happy34: :happy34: :happy34:

Dougster

Mopar1973Man
I'm not sure how to tune anything. :conf5: Best I can hope to do is follow the instructions on the label and hope for the best. :happy34:

What I mean but tuning is by changing the 2 cycle oil amount typically anything over 100:1 ratio it tend to show more of a gray smoke which is the oil too rich. So like I suggest 128:1 ratio as a starting point then see how it behaves. It should be much much quieter less rattle/knock. If you notice the power is lack you can try leaning out the oil a little at a time till it smooths out if needed. Typical range is 100:1 to 200:1 ratio. 128:1 ratio is 1 ounce of oil for every 1 gallon of fuel.

A few gallons??? :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: The poor old Dougster buys it 2 ounces at a time. :D And 2 ounces lasts me months. :D A gallon would be a lifetime supply for the poor old Dougster. :gen17:

:rolleyes10:

My diesel truck holds 35 gallons of fuel since I never run it dead empty so even if I was to run it to 32 gallons I would need 1 quart of oil for that tank of fuel so 1 gallon last 4 tanks of fuel.

2 ozs... :hilarious: Even mixing for my chainsaw in a 2.5 gallon container at 50:1 ratio is 6.4 ozs of oil. That barely make it through a season just for the chainsaws.

2 ozs in 1 gallon of gasoline is 64:1 Ratio I have a hard time even thinking of anything that runs that lean of a 2 cycle oil / gasoline mixture. :conf5: But 2.56 Ounces would be 50:1 ratio in 1 gallon.

Dougster
What I mean but tuning is by changing the 2 cycle oil amount typically anything over 100:1 ratio it tend to show more of a gray smoke which is the oil too rich. So like I suggest 128:1 ratio as a starting point then see how it behaves. It should be much much quieter less rattle/knock. If you notice the power is lack you can try leaning out the oil a little at a time till it smooths out if needed. Typical range is 100:1 to 200:1 ratio. 128:1 ratio is 1 ounce of oil for every 1 gallon of fuel.

Okay, thanks! :happy34: Now I've got some guidelines. :gen17: I'll keep looking for that gray smoke (so far none except immediately after that initial dosing). An incremental lack of power may be hard to detect on a tractor like mine given the ways I use it (generally geared low/low speed stuff, no high speed bushhogging, etc.). And, so far, zero change in diesel noise characteristics or level. :cool44:

My diesel truck holds 35 gallons of fuel since I never run it dead empty so even if I was to run it to 32 gallons I would need 1 quart of oil for that tank of fuel so 1 gallon last 4 tanks of fuel.

2 ozs... :hilarious: Even mixing for my chainsaw in a 2.5 gallon container at 50:1 ratio is 6.4 ozs of oil. That barely make it through a season just for the chainsaws.

2 ozs in 1 gallon of gasoline is 64:1 Ratio I have a hard time even thinking of anything that runs that lean of a 2 cycle oil / gasoline mixture. :conf5: But 2.56 Ounces would be 50:1 ratio in 1 gallon.

I buy these (or similar) and mix up a nice fresh gallon at a time: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3497455&KPID=5736949&pla=pla_5736949

Even then, I usually end up with some leftover. :o Other than occasional emergency (fallen tree) work, I'm just not a big chainsawing guy anymore. :conf13:

Dougster

Mopar1973Man

9.99 for six 2.6 oz bottle!?!?! (That's $0.64 a oz!) :shocked3:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3497455&KPID=5736949&pla=pla_5736949

Holy cow... Save your money. $12 bucks for a full gallon. (That's $0.09 a oz!) :gen17:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-TC-W3-Outboard-2-Cycle-Oil-1-Gallon/16795065

Yes is will store for a very long time. But as for feeding the tractor it doesn't hurt to protect the fuel system with a fuel lubricant of some sort. (Low HFRR scores).

Dougster
9.99 for six 2.6 oz bottle!?!?! (That's $0.64 a oz!) :shocked3:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3497455&KPID=5736949&pla=pla_5736949

Holy cow... Save your money. $12 bucks for a full gallon. (That's $0.09 a oz!) :gen17:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-TC-W3-Outboard-2-Cycle-Oil-1-Gallon/16795065

Yes is will store for a very long time. But as for feeding the tractor it doesn't hurt to protect the fuel system with a fuel lubricant of some sort. (Low HFRR scores).

I just brought up that product as an example of the 2.6 ounce (pre-measured for a gallon) mini-bottles I use for the chainsaws. I buy whatever brand I find when I am out and about, one mini-bottle at a time. Yes, I pay for the convenience and measurement accuracy... but usually when the chainsaws come out I have more to worry about than the cost of 2-cycle oil. :shocked3:

Potential use in the machines aside, a gallon would otherwise last me at least three lifetimes. :eek::hilarious::greet24:

Dougster

Mopar1973Man
I just brought up that product as an example of the 2.6 ounce (pre-measured for a gallon) mini-bottles I use for the chainsaws. I buy whatever brand I find when I am out and about, one mini-bottle at a time. Yes, I pay for the convenience and measurement accuracy... but usually when the chainsaws come out I have more to worry about than the cost of 2-cycle oil. :shocked3:

Potential use in the machines aside, a gallon would otherwise last me at least three lifetimes. :eek::hilarious::greet24:

Dougster

Not if your mixing a bit in the tractor... :rolleyes10: