Mickey

The old truck needed brakes

4 posts in this topic

Replaced the front brake pads yesterday on my old 90 Nissan pick-up. Couple weeks ago I noticed the front brakes pulling to one side. I'm not much for working on cars any longer but I'm less inclined to farm out the work.

Pulled the wheel on one side and it looked like the pad was on its last leg. Went to town and bought a set of pads. As I got into the job I found I was pretty lucky as pads weren't down to damaging the rotors. Job was easier than it could have been but noted Nissan design retained the pads differently than I've seen before.

Any way, the job was uneventful and brakes working like new again. Can't believe this 23 yr old truck was still running on the original brake pads and had 117k miles of use. One thing for sure is I don't drive the truck too often nor too far. Not sure if I'm easy on the brakes or just don't use them often. :) The truck is turning out to be as reliable as the old Nissan Sentra I had. It had 257k miles on it when I sold it and no major problems. Wouldn't have hesitated driving it coast to coast with doing nothing more than fresh oil and full tank of gas.

Mikey I am on my 3rd Nissan Titan right now. Company trades every three years. On each of them the front brakes were changed out right around 90K miles. Typically I have around 120K when we trade and the rears are still original.

Have never had anything major go wrong with any of them. I have Nissans for personal use too. I think I had bought a new vehicle every year for six years straight. Between work trucks, the wife's and the two kids.

All toll this truck is Nissan # 8 for me. Can't wait for March when I trade this one. Nissan is suppose to be redesigning the Titan for 2015.

Anyway, the job was uneventful and brakes working like new again. Can't believe this 23 yr old truck was still running on the original brake pads and had 117k miles of use. One thing for sure is I don't drive the truck too often nor too far. Not sure if I'm easy on the brakes or just don't use them often. :)

Just be glad you don't have to deal with heavily salted roads each winter. :o That magnificent 23 year old truck would be nothing but a crappy pile of rust... just like my Chevy. :frown:

Dougster

Mikey I am on my 3rd Nissan Titan right now. Company trades every three years. On each of them the front brakes were changed out right around 90K miles. Typically I have around 120K when we trade and the rears are still original.

Have never had anything major go wrong with any of them. I have Nissans for personal use too. I think I had bought a new vehicle every year for six years straight. Between work trucks, the wife's and the two kids.

All toll this truck is Nissan # 8 for me. Can't wait for March when I trade this one. Nissan is suppose to be redesigning the Titan for 2015.

I'm fond of Nissan. Can be had used for less than either a Honda or Toyota which my boys prefer.

At the rate I drive the truck, I doubt I will live long enough to wear the truck out.