Tractor Farm and Family
bontai Joe

Got a newish truck

bontai Joe

I get a LOT of junk mail, including promotional stuff from all the local car dealers. The stuff that says I "may" have won a fabulous price, just bring my game piece down to the dealer and see if the number matches/key fits/prizes show up under the magic red lens, etc. I take them all down and check, because I have won some decent stuff over the years, like US savings bonds, silver ounce coins, restaurant gift cards, but never anything big. So on President's day weekend in Feb, I go to my Chevy dealer to see what I've won. Turns out, I got a $5 Walmart gift card. But they had a 2013 4X4 reg. cab 8 foot bed Silverado there with 5000 miles on it for sale. And my wife's piece of crap Kia was really giving us fits with unfixable electrical problems, so after a little haggling, I find myself the proud owner of the Silverado and kiss the Kia good riddance. The truck is a plain Jane work truck, with a V-6, automatic, am-fm radio and air conditioning. No sattilite crap, no leather seats, no on-star, no MP3 crap, no tinted glass, has roll up windows, manual locks, steel wheels, vinyl floor.... exactly the truck I wanted, a work truck. Price was right too. They had another 4X4 Chevy there with a sticker price over $50,000!!!! More than double what I paid for mine!!! That truck had every conceivable option on it, and I guarantee it won't run any longer than the one I got, and it only had a 6 foot bed. The sales guy asked me why the 8 foot bed was so important to me, and I replied, "Because no one makes a 10 foot bed!" I had some sort of truck from 1977 to 2007, and the past few years being truckless has sucked big time. I've hauled 8 foot long 2 x 4s in my Neon, and it sucks. No more of that because I have a truck.... gives me a tingle just saying it! I have a truck.

Edited by bontai Joe

TFF Admin

Sounds like ya done good Joe! :happy34: Good to hear from you and sounds like things are going well.

Dougster
Got a newish truck

Oh Lordy Joe! :shocked3: I looked at the title of this thread too quickly and thought it read that you "Got a Jewish truck"! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

worksman_vending_truck1.jpg

Anyway... my mistake! :tongue: Congratulations on the new truck. :happy34: :happy34: :happy34:

Dougster

Mickey

Long time no hear Joe. Do stop by more often.

Cangrats on the new truck. You sound an awful lot like me when it comes to secondary vehicles. Plain Jane fits the bill. Bells and whistles I don't have, don't have to be repaired.

GreenWannabe

When I bought my Honda Ridgeline, I just lucked into a private transaction with the salesman, his personal ride for 2/3 of the dealer price of used ones the same age. I got anything but a plain jane, but I wasn't having a lot of luck finding one like I wanted at any price.

Joe, sounds like a really good deal, the kind I was looking for when I bought mine five years ago. Good luck with it, and enjoy the truck!

Fred

bontai Joe

I thought I'd update this a little. I still have the Neon, with 203,000 miles on it, but I don't haul lumber or cement blocks in it any more. The Silverado is doing just fine. I drove it most of the winter and the 4WD is a blessing. I never had a 4WD before. Sure is wonderful to throw a lever and be able to climb a snow covered hill. Even more wonderful to be able to buy anything larger than a pair of boots and be able to haul it home. The truck has 22,000 miles on it, and hopefully will last as long as my last truck, the Dakota that died after 15 years with 1/4 million miles on it.

TFF Admin

I can't believe the price of new trucks lately. Some of the diesel pickups go upwards of $70,000 sticker price. No way I will pay that much for a truck. You did what I would have done and got a basic truck with a few creature comforts like A/C and 4WD. I didn't think you could buy a truck with roll up windows any longer.

I am still driving my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500. It currently has a pallet of cement blocks in the back that I have to unload today. I agree that it sure is nice to have a truck that you can pickup what you need at the store and take it with you.

flman

Now a days I might not even consider a diesel truck, they have been made less reliable than the gassers with all the emissions, then you have to add DEF, special motor, special filters, trips to the dealer. Cheaper to pay at the pump any more. I have 3 pre 2007 diesels that I intend to keep for as long as I can, and a 2010 that I hope does not have to limp into the dealer any time soon.

bontai Joe

Time for another update on my 2013 Silverado. I've had this truck for 3 years and 9 months. It now has 79,000 miles on it. I get 18 mpg if I drive 55 on the highway, closer to 14 mpg if I drive 70. I put my third set of tires on at 60,000 miles (original tires plus two replacement sets). The truck has run great, no problems except the one recall for defective undercoating that the dealer fixed for free while giving me a free loaner SUV. The V-6 is just a little light on power, but the better gas mileage more than offsets that. I drive it empty probably 85% of the time. I don't tow with it, and don't plow snow with it. This year I have done multiple round trips of over 700 miles of interstate highway driving and no complaints. Oh wait, I do have one complaint. To replace the passenger side headlight, I have to remove the air filter housingĀ  to get at it, which is a pain in the butt. It's been a good truck to me. I have been told that the 2014 models had some problems with the 6 speed tranny. Mine is a 4 speed.