Tractor Farm and Family
Mickey

10 yrs old & starting to have problems

Mickey

Last week when I needed to get the Buick out of the shop, had to move the Cub first. Didn't want to keep running. Run for a few sec and then stop. Could repeat all day. :(

Started digging in to the problem and found the fuel shutoff solenoid not getting power. Jumped some power to the solenoid and engine would run as intended.

Further checking and found a short wiring harness with a relay and could see a lot of corrosion at the relay socket. Relay/socket "sealed" at the factory with electrical tape. Obviously tape didn't seal the connection.

Got things apart and it didn't look good. Due to short length of the cable and the spliced-in socket I wasn't sure if the cable/socket/relay was from Kohler or Cub.

With a lot of work was able to get the cable back in serviceable condition. But, what was the relay??? Wasn't having any luck finding the relay in the service manual/schematics. Lot more investigation and found out the relay is a common relay found in a lot of newer cars. Found a bunch of them on e-bay and not hard to find cost in the $20+ range with used ones close to $10-$15. If you can find a auto parts counter guy that knows his stuff, would likely be able to find one locally. With more checking, Found them available from Allied and Newark closer to $6.

Its going to take some time to get the part and everything back together but will likely be for much less going down to a local Kohler dealer.

Fortunately, there is still a lot of time before mowing season starts.

post-14284-144848478239_thumb.jpg

Mickey
Wow, that has a lot of corrosion for being indoors?

The Cub gets a bath a few times a yr, but otherwise as it is stored in-doors there was a lot more corrosion than I expected.

Found a listing on Allied Electronics for the relay @ $4.25/ea. Ordered 2 but after all the little gotcha's total bill came to a little over $20.

GreenWannabe

Hmmm - I guess I need to check the connections on the Kohler engine in my 20 year old JD mower. Only unscheduled maintenance I've had on it was when the main drive belt tore up when I first bought it, seven years ago.

Mickey, sorry for your troubles. That looks nasty! I hope your repair goes well, and you can get many more years of service out of it.

Fred

Mickey

No problem Fred. If you use things, sooner or later something is going to cause problems. It was just my time. Cable is back on the tractor just waiting for the relay.

Will be putting some dielectric grease on all the connections and try finding a way to really close things up so this doesn't happen again anytime soon.

Have discovered the VR has gone out. Not sure if the 2 issues are related. Import regulators are easy to come by for little money. Need to get one on order. OEM parts are priced way too high. Noticed the price for a fuel shutoff solenoid at $160 while the whole carb is $300. Both seem too high since both parts are imports. Wonder if the solenoid comes with the carb?

jsborn

I had problems with the fuel shut off solenoid on a Cub Cadet I had a few years ago. I removed the needle out of it and just turned the fuel off when I turned off the engine and saved that $160 . Worked for me for several years. :cool44::04:

Mickey

Hope to have the Cub bad together by early next week even though we're still a month or two away from needing to cut the grass.

Got a VR on order yesterday and it should be here by the first of the week.

Mickey

Well, it's all back together and working like it should. Turns out I did a pee poor job of troubleshooting initially. Turns out the second issue in addition to the relay was the connector for the ign switch. Out of the 6 wires going to the switch, there was one with an intermittent contact. Got the switch out and when I disconnected the connector there was a lot of corrosion on all the contacts. Cleaned that up and that is when the intermittent connection was discovered. replaced all the contacts and partially reassembled. Engine now starts and runs like new.

Another thing I discovered was, there has to be power to the VR output terminal for it too work. Appears the VR is a more complex design than I had thought. Fixing the ign switch connections took care of that issue. Hate to spend money on parts without knowing what is really wrong. My oversight cost me $20. Maybe some day the VR will actually fail and I now have a replacement on-hand. :o:frown: