Dougster

Back To School...

56 posts in this topic

The poor old Dougster just got notified by the state that his Taxachusetts Hoister's License, which I need to legally run the Red Beast and the ULDM, will not be renewed next year unless I can present the state with some Continuing Education Credits in ditch-digging!!! :shocked3: :shocked3: :shocked3:

I kid you not. :mad: This is a brand new requirement of our insane leftist nanny state and no one is yet licensed to even provide these Continuing Education Credits in ditch-digging. :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: Mama Mia!!! :rolleyes10:

I mean, what has changed in ditch-digging in the last 10 or 20 years? What are they going to teach me in a Continuing Education class??? :conf5::confused2::conf13:

The biggest problem for me is going to be the cost. It could be quite high for an individual. I have the time and I'm sure I can stay awake in the classes... just as soon as someone actually gets licensed to give the damn Continuing Education classes in the first place. :confused2::gy::confused:

This could affect old Larry even more than me... if he still retains his Taxachusetts Hoister's license and if he is not exempt. :gy: Some Larry holds (or held) an unlimited (all types of machines) license, he would have to take separate classes in all subject areas. :eek: That could become a near full-time job. :rolleyes:

The potential bright side to this silly nonsense? I am hoping that the equipment manufacturers' reps step up to the plate on this. Just like in my old profession, they could provide the classes and the Continuing Education credits if they really wanted to. They would have to become state licensed and I'm sure there is some expense to that... but there are reasons they might want to do that. It might just fold nicely into their sales operation... and it might help keep the cost down for folks like moi. :conf5:

Dougster

Your biggest problem is no one has used their license and machine to bury the politicians and red tape generators yet.

Your biggest problem is no one has used their license and machine to bury the politicians and red tape generators yet.

I can't disagree with you Jack. :o Just when you think you've seen and heard it all up here in Moonbatland, they come up with a new (and probably costly) licensing requirement: Remedial education in Ditch-Digging for those of us who may have forgotten how to do it. :conf5:

Dougster

Doug, why don't you give Milton Cat a call, and see what they might know about this. If anybody knows about it, Milton should.

Fred

Doug, why don't you give Milton Cat a call, and see what they might know about this. If anybody knows about it, Milton should.

Fred

An excellent point Fred. :happy34: Not only do they have the expertise and the people to do it, but they've also got the training space. :gen17: Right nearby too. :cool44:

We are all just hearing about this now. I don't think that anyone is certified to teach Remedial Ditch-Digging 101 just yet. But I'll bet that Milton CAT will be one of the first. :04:

Old Larry can come over and attend with me. :) I'll buy the old coot breakfast at the Senior Center! :04::happy34: :happy34: :happy34:

I know he'll appreciate that! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Dougster

I don't know what the problem is,, I just renewed my license three weeks ago. And Yes, I still hold the unlimited. all though after these next two years I will either cut it back a whole lot or let it go anyway,,

I don't know what the problem is,, I just renewed my license three weeks ago. And Yes, I still hold the unlimited. all though after these next two years I will either cut it back a whole lot or let it go anyway,,

Well Larry, looks like you just lucked out again:

Notice of New Regulation - 520 CMR 6.00: Hoisting Machinery

Greetings Mr. Von Dougster,

The Department of Public Safety ("Department") would like to notify you that the new 520 CMR 6.00: HOISTING MACHINERY regulations will go in to effect on November 8, 2013. Many of the changes incorporated in to the new regulations reflect and implement recent amendments to the hoisting law, G.L. c. 146, § 53, and public comment. Please note that this is a summary only of some of the more significant changes and should not be read in lieu of the regulations themselves.

If you're interested, I'll send you the e-mail I received.

Dougster

send it BC along with your phone numbers again,, I had to erase W 8.1 an start over and in the process lost all phone and adress' saved

send it BC along with your phone numbers again,, I had to erase W 8.1 an start over and in the process lost all phone and address' saved

Will do. Here is the relevant part for all others:

Continuing Education

The new regulation creates continuing education requirements for all fully licensed Hoisting operators during the 2 year license cycle. Please note that holders of Temporary Permits or Company issued licenses are NOT subject to continuing education requirements. Any Licensee who is unable to obtain the required continuing education necessary to renew their License may request that the License be placed in an inactive status for up to 1 continuing education cycle.However, no Hoisting Machinery operations shall take place while the License in an inactive status.

Dougster

So when is your birthday?

Fred

Are you going to throw me a party? :04::cool12::greet6::toast::eyepop:

Let's just say that my renewal application with medical exam & certificate will have to go no later than ~6 months from now. But as of this time, no one knows the actual specific requirements (e.g., how many hours, classes or curriculum) and no one is yet certified to offer those continuing education credits. :confused2:

Let's hope someone picks up the ball and runs with it... or legally speaking, I will be a dangerous criminal outlaw here in the PRM if I climb up on the Red Beast or the ULDM and turn the key. :frown::conf5::rolleyes: And yes, even on my own property. :rolleyes10:

Dougster

Are you going to throw me a party? :04::cool12::greet6::toast::eyepop:

Let's just say that my renewal application with medical exam & certificate will have to go no later than ~6 months from now. But as of this time, no one knows the actual specific requirements (e.g., how many hours, classes or curriculum) and no one is yet certified to offer those continuing education credits. :confused2:

Let's hope someone picks up the ball and runs with it... or legally speaking, I will be a dangerous criminal outlaw here in the PRM if I climb up on the Red Beast or the ULDM and turn the key. :frown::conf5::rolleyes: And yes, even on my own property. :rolleyes10:

Dougster

No party - I'm too cheap! Just trying to get a sense of you much longer you are legal.

I did find this on the MA DPS website, in this document: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dps/engineering/inf-eng/520-cmr-6-nov13.pdf

b. Class 2 (Excavation) Licenses:

i. The minimum number of continuing

education hours required for renewal of a

2A, 2B, 2C, and 2D License shall be four (4)

classroom hours.

ii. The minimum topics and texts included as

part of the continuing education curriculum

for purposes of renewing a 2A, 2B, 2C, or

2D License shall include but may not be

limited to:

1. MGL c. 146;

2. 520 CMR 6.00;

3. 520 CMR 14.00;

4. OSHA Standards 29 CFR 1926

5. MGL c. 82, §40;

6. MGL c. 82A;

7. MGL c. 164, §76D;

8. 220 CMR 99.00 (Dig Safe).

Maybe that will help.

Since the nanny state has to approve each training facility and training program, they should know who they have approved. They should also be able to tell you what they will do if they have not approved anyone by the time your renewal comes around.

Good luck with it.

Fred

Edited by GreenWannabe

No party - I'm too cheap! Just trying to get a sense of you much longer you are legal.

I did find this on the MA DPS website, in this document: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dps/engineering/inf-eng/520-cmr-6-nov13.pdf

Maybe that will help.

Since the nanny state has to approve each training facility and training program, they should know who they have approved. They should also be able to tell you what they will do if they have not approved anyone by the time your renewal comes around.

Good luck with it.

Fred

Well done Fred!!! :happy34: :happy34: :happy34: That is very helpful. :04: So now we know it is 4 classroom hours and almost 100% focused on PRM law. Weird, but true apparently. :conf5:

I'll bet it will be set-up so you can do the whole dang thing in one continuous 4-hour morning or afternoon... or maybe even evening classes. :confused2: And like you said earlier, Milton CAT is probably my best bet in this area. Next time I am up there, I'll be sure to ask if they plan to do anything in this regard. :04::happy34::greet24:

Dougster

Just received this follow-up e-mail:

In response to the high volume of questions regarding the Continuing Education requirements of the new 520 CMR 6.00: HOISTING MACHINERY regulations, that went in to effect on November 8, 2013, the Department of Public Safety ("Department") would like to inform you that enforcement of the Continuing Education requirements shall be begin on May 1, 2014. Licensees whose Hoisting Machinery License expires prior to this date will not be required to submit Continuing Education at the time of renewal.

Hoisting Machinery Licenses that expire on or after May 1, 2014 shall provide Continuing Education at the time of renewal. Any Licensee who is unable to obtain the required Continuing Education necessary to renew their License may request that the License be placed in an inactive status for up to 1 Continuing Education cycle. No Hoisting Machinery operations shall take place while the License is in an inactive status.

The regulations, as well as FAQs, can be found here.

Sincerely,

John P. Rogers

Chief of Inspections - Mechanical

So the bottom line? :confused2: I will be one of the first to have to comply with the new continuing education requirement. :o Lucky me. :rolleyes:

And given that it won't become a requirement for a while now, I'll expect no great rush for potential ditch-digging "educators" to become certified. :rolleyes10:

Only in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts. :mad:

Dougster

If it were not for my thriving business and family, I would be moving to NH. Actually I was going to do it soon, but my daughter wanted to learn the trade, so I guess I will be staying in the Vampire state of NY for a while longer than planned? I am not sure how close you are to NH, but probably closer then me?

I am not sure how close you are to NH, but probably closer then me?

Close enough that I can smell the freedom on a good day! :04::happy34::greet24:

Well, maybe not that close. :tongue: But still close. :happy34:

Dougster

Yet another e-mail just arrived:

In response to the high volume of questions regarding the Continuing Education requirements of the new 520 CMR 6.00: HOISTING MACHINERY regulations, that went in to effect on November 8, 2013, the Department of Public Safety ("Department") would like to inform you that enforcement of the Continuing Education requirements shall be begin on May 1, 2014 to provide adequate time for individuals and organizations to implement these regulations. Licensees whose Hoisting Machinery License expires prior to this date will not be required to submit Continuing Education at the time of renewal.

At the moment, there are no approved individuals or organizations to provide Continuing Education. However, as the Department continues to receive and approve Continuing Education programs our website will be updated. Please follow this link to view the list of approved continuing education programs for Hoisting Machinery.

The regulations, as well as FAQs, can be found here.

Sincerely,

John P. Rogers

Chief of Inspections - Mechanical

Looks like they are taking some heat for imposing a costly new requirement that is currently impossible to meet. :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Dougster

Close enough that I can smell the freedom on a good day! :04::happy34::greet24:

Well, maybe not that close. :tongue: But still close. :happy34:

Dougster

Didn't your kid brother make a big move, what is a little move across state lines for you? :happy34:

Didn't your kid brother make a big move, what is a little move across state lines for you? :happy34:

This biggest impediment by far, for us to be able to move to New Hampshire in retirement, is the staggeringly high property taxes. Without an income tax or a sales tax, the entire growing cost of government is placed nearly 100% on NH property owners. So unless you are going to be happy living in a small house, apartment or condo, you can probably forget about retiring in New Hampshire. :o

No one ever said that the price of freedom was cheap. New Hampshire is clearly a place for younger working families who can benefit from the lack of an income tax and no sales tax enough to offset the crazy the high property taxes. But the good wife and I will not be in such a position.

Can we overcome that obstacle? That's what we need to figure out in the next year or two. :o

Dougster

This biggest impediment by far, for us to be able to move to New Hampshire in retirement, is the staggeringly high property taxes. Without an income tax or a sales tax, the entire growing cost of government is placed nearly 100% on NH property owners. So unless you are going to be happy living in a small house, apartment or condo, you can probably forget about retiring in New Hampshire. :o

No one ever said that the price of freedom was cheap. New Hampshire is clearly a place for younger working families who can benefit from the lack of an income tax and no sales tax enough to offset the crazy the high property taxes. But the good wife and I will not be in such a position.

Can we overcome that obstacle? That's what we need to figure out in the next year or two. :o

Dougster

That would not be a problem for me, because NY property tax is on par with NH, but we will not have all of the other Vampire state taxes and fees to pay. So I would be better off in the long run.

http://freedominthe50states.org/overall/new-york

New York is by far the least free state in the Union. It is therefore no surprise that New York residents have been heading for the exits: 9.0 percent of the state’s 2000 population, on net, left the state for another state between 2000 and 2011, the highest such figure in the nation.1

New York has, by a wide margin, the highest taxes in the country: 14.0 percent of income, three and a half standard deviations above the national mean. New York is also the most indebted state, setting its own record high in FY 2010 at 33.2 percent of income. By comparison, government consumption plus subsidies and employment are only ranked slightly higher than average, implying that the state could benefit by shifting revenue sources from taxation and license fees to user fees.

New York fares poorly on economic regulation. New York City has rent control, which is estimated to cost residents about $300 million in deadweight loss alone.2 Eminent domain abuse is rampant. Labor law is poor, with no right-to-work law, restrictions on workers’ compensation funding options, and a required short-term disability program. New York has the strictest health insurance community rating regulations in the United States, which have wiped out the nongroup market. There has also been a dramatic increase in mandated coverages in 2009—10, rising to 54.9 percent of the cost of a no-mandated-benefit policy. On the positive side, the court system is slightly better than average. While insurance regulation remains strict, there has been a slight liberalization of personal auto insurance in 2009—10.

On personal freedoms, gun control laws are extremely restrictive, but marijuana laws are ranked better than average. Tobacco laws are extremely strict, and cigarette taxes are the highest in the country, encouraging the growth of a dangerous black market.3 Motorists are highly regulated, and home school regulations are excessive, but alcohol taxes are low, and so are non-drug victimless crimes arrests and the crime-adjusted incarceration rate. Same-sex marriage was legalized in 2011, which should raise the state about three places on personal freedom.

And Mass.... http://freedominthe50states.org/overall/massachusetts

That would not be a problem for me, because NY property tax is on par with NH, but we will not have all of the other Vampire state taxes and fees to pay. So I would be better off in the long run.

It's all going to depend on what you have now (for land, house, etc.) and what you're going to want in New Hampshire. It's also going to depend on your age, family, resources and income. All I can say is that unless you are filthy rich, prepare for some serious property tax sticker shock. :frown::conf13::shocked3:

Dougster

It's all going to depend on what you have now (for land, house, etc.) and what you're going to want in New Hampshire. It's also going to depend on your age, family, resources and income. All I can say is that unless you are filthy rich, prepare for some serious property tax sticker shock. :frown::conf13::shocked3:

Dougster

I would be happy with a little shack and a nice workshop. :tongue:

I would be happy with a little shack and a nice workshop. :tongue:

Well, if you are serious, then you might be okay. The problem for the GW and me is that we want some land... and a combo barn/warehouse... and a house with a few rather unique features. :D Not a particularly large house, but not a shack either.

Some average older houses on 1 or 2 acres have property taxes as low as $4,000-$5,000-$6,000/year. On the other hand, we have looked at houses with taxes as high as $18,000/year. They were not mansions either. Hardly.

Assuming a serious investment of time and some good luck for a change, what we want would probably end up in the $12,000/year neighborhood. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. That's more than double the taxes on properties we're looking at here in the People's Republic. :frown:

Dougster

Ahh!!!! 12 grand a year, now your in Connecticut territory, makes me feel better already.,.

Ahh!!!! 12 grand a year, now your in Connecticut territory, makes me feel better already.,.

Why should you feel better? You pay plenty of property tax yourself... plus you pay state income tax and state sales tax. :conf5:

I didn't say we were going to pay $12,000. I'm just saying that I think that's about the best we could do for what we would want up in the "Live Free or Die" state. :frown:

Let's face the facts. I am probably going to die right here in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts. :o

Dougster

Edited by Dougster