Tractor Farm and Family
Mickey

A recent find

Mickey

Son has been looking for an old make-n-break engine and found a listing on Craigslist up near Seattle. He mentioned it to me last week and I had forgotten about it. On Sat they went up N to visit our DIL's neice. What I didn't know was the real reason for the trip was to take a look at the engine he saw the listing for. Well, he came home with the engine.

It's a 3HP Economy model sold by Sears and was made by Stover. Engine hadn't ran in yrs and showed signs of being sat on dirt floor for some period. After talking to the owner a bit, it was obvious he knew less than nothing about these kinds of engines. Engine looked like it had potential and the price was right.

Son came over yesterday afternoon to surprise me. Looked OK but a fair amount of oil/dirt all over. The goal for the day was to see if we could get it to start.

This is not your typ hit-n-miss engine as this model is throttle governed and was intended to run on gas and kerosene. You start on gas then switch over to kerosene.

Carb was fairly dirty and rusty. So off came the carb and an hr later was cleaned up and ready to reinstall. Kerosene tank was missing so all we had was the small, a couple oz gas tank.

Didn't take long and she was running. Not running as well as we'd like but for an engine that hadn't ran in yrs, we were pleased. After running for a while it became obvious that the compression had improved. Every easy to start.

The project begins. Degrease, find/make a larger fuel tank and get the carb adj'd right.

No pics of THIS engine but I did find a couple youtube videos of the same engine. One give a decent explanation and visually is close to what this engine looks like now. The other video showing one running as it should but is sans any paint.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxuVrCmwkZs]3½ HP ECONOMY ENGINE (STOVER CT-3) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Uvl4tB6Kk]STOVER CT 2hp Throttle Governed Engine - YouTube[/ame]

Mickey

Well, it had to be. Oldest son buys an old engine so my youngest has to buy one as well. Found one that sounded decent on CL and not too far away. We went to take a look yesterday afternoon. Didn't look very pretty but it was free and owner said he had it running a yr or so ago. Couldn't get it to start today. Son took a chance and bought it for not too bad of a price.

It's a ealy 30's IH LA series engine rated between 1.5 & 2.5 HP. It's very compact, both valves are controlled by the cam and has a built-in handle for starting.

Got it home and first thing we did was open up the mag and clean the points. Didn't take too much effort and we had a strong spark. Will it start? You bet! Second crank and she was running. Letting it run for a while and it seemed to run better. Found out governed speed is adj. Can't believe how easy this thing want to start and run.

Next thing on the list is to start getting it cleaned up. After removing the aged, just sitting around, crud that has collected on it, son whats to paint it and get it back to looking close to what it looked like when new.

Next thing you know is the boys will want me to get one. :D

post-14284-144848477818_thumb.jpg

Dougster
Next thing you know is the boys will want me to get one. :D

Looks like a lot of fun Brother Mickey! :happy34: If I had any room here at all, I'd be tempted to jump in and join you... although you know my "luck" isn't nearly as good as yours! :greet24:

Dougster

Mickey

Not sure I want to go there. Anyway with both the boys having one of these old engines, I'll likely be involved in the restorations. In addition the oldest has another old engine, a Maytag washer motor that needs some TLC including a new wooden base. With the workworking shop all but done, I can now make that base.

This both the boys were lucky buying these engines in a non-running condition and taking the chance on purchase and they both won with that aspect of the buy.

Dougster
Not sure I want to go there. Anyway with both the boys having one of these old engines, I'll likely be involved in the restorations. In addition the oldest has another old engine, a Maytag washer motor that needs some TLC including a new wooden base. With the woodworking shop all but done, I can now make that base.

This both the boys were lucky buying these engines in a non-running condition and taking the chance on purchase and they both won with that aspect of the buy.

I think you know that "luck" is not one of my strong points. :conf13::gy::04:

Speaking of repairs, my 6 year old GE side-by-side refrigerator has started pulsing and whistling... which is supposedly the clear sign of a defective motherboard. It's a known factory defect that's been around ever since about the time I bought the damn thing... but you never hear about these factory defects until after the warranty has run out. :conf5:

The replacement part is $161.00. GE has comp'd a bunch of people with these defective motherboards... but not all. That's where the "luck" of the poor old Dougster comes into play... and it means that I better start saving up to buy the part. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Dougster
Sounds to me like you are almost ready for a Freezer on the bottom double door on top frig. :cool44::2c::shocked2:

Ouch!!! :o Oh man Jack! :eek: That is brutal!!! :frown:

All I can say to that is NEVER!!! :D:hilarious::greet24:

Dougster

Mickey
Sounds to me like you are almost ready for a Freezer on the bottom double door on top frig. :cool44::2c::shocked2:

:happy34::04::cool12: Was thinking along similar lines myself Jack. :D Doug has all but beat me to death over that purchase but after nearly 5 yrs, no functional issues. Think it is time for Doug to :surrender::D Kids have the same frig for going on to 2 yrs and they also haven't had any problems nor regrets.

Dougster
:happy34::04::cool12: Was thinking along similar lines myself Jack. :D Doug has all but beat me to death over that purchase but after nearly 5 yrs, no functional issues. Think it is time for Doug to :surrender::D Kids have the same frig for going on to 2 yrs and they also haven't had any problems nor regrets.

Brutal!!! Brutal!!! BRUTAL!!!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Dougster

jsborn

Yea you know if Doug would just admit that he is wrong about this type Frig and buy the GW one. I bet she would even set the coffee pot up for him when she leaves for work so he wouldn't have to go to the old folks home every morning for free coffee. :hilarious::hilarious:

Dougster
Yea you know if Doug would just admit that he is wrong about this type Frig and buy the GW one. I bet she would even set the coffee pot up for him when she leaves for work so he wouldn't have to go to the old folks home every morning for free coffee. :hilarious: :hilarious:
Ya know Jack, you could be right. But there are some opinions Doug has that are cast in stone and they will never change. :)
Oh, Puh-leeze!! The Dougster (gasp!) change?!!!!

He said it himself:

All I can say to that is NEVER!!! :D:hilarious::greet24:

Dougster

Fred

Well, at least Fred understands me!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

I will NEVER give in to those who say a $3,000 "French Doors" upside-down refrigerator is the way to go! Never!!! Never!!! Never!!! :gy: It is unnatural... an affront to nature... an insult to logical thinking... an offense to the physical world... an indignity to science ... a giving-in to vanity and fads and irrational female fashion!!! :tongue:

Never!!! Never!!! Never!!! :cool::D:cool44:

Dougster

GreenWannabe

Never say "Never!!!," Doug. It can (and probably will) reach up and bite you! Just wait until the GW decides she needs and deserves one!

Fred

Dougster
Never say "Never!!!," Doug. It can (and probably will) reach up and bite you! Just wait until the GW decides she needs and deserves one!

Fred

The poor old Dougster can only speak for himself. :conf5: What the good wife might decide to do someday is entirely up to her. :conf13: Her money... her decisions on how to spend it. :gen17:

I will say this: When we finally get to build our retirement home, the main kitchen will be 100% to her specifications. That much was decided between us long ago. If she makes a poor choice and decides to buy an upside-down refrigerator, God bless her!!! :tongue: Let her pay for it... and pay to run it... and pay to have it repaired when it breaks down. :evilgrin10:

On the other hand, the poor old Dougster will get to design his own "mini-kitchen" off his new "Nerd Pit"! :04: I can absolutely guarantee you that my new little mini-kitchen will not have an upside-down refrigerator. :happy34: Not in a million, billion years!!! :happy34::cool44::greet24:

Dougster

Mickey

Well, to get back on track. I knew it, I knew it. Son called last night saying he spotted a old engine on CL down in Salem. Guy is getting rid of a lot of things as he is moving. Amongst the items is an old make-n-break engine. Son was letting me know so if I was interested we could go check it out. It appeared to be an old Jaeger engine of an old cement mixer. Hasn't run in a few yrs but last time there was an attempt to start, it ran. Asking $200.

I just knew it! :)

Dougster
Well, to get back on track. I knew it, I knew it. Son called last night saying he spotted a old engine on CL down in Salem. Guy is getting rid of a lot of things as he is moving. Amongst the items is an old make-n-break engine. Son was letting me know so if I was interested we could go check it out. It appeared to be an old Jaeger engine of an old cement mixer. Hasn't run in a few yrs but last time there was an attempt to start, it ran. Asking $200.

I just knew it! :)

Go for it Brother Mickey!!! :happy34: :happy34: :happy34::greet24:

Dougster

GreenWannabe

Hey, Mickey, sounds like a good find. Jaeger was a good name for cement mixers back in the day. I think you pought to go ahead and get it, and have some fun tinkering with it. If you can't get it running, you can probably sell it for as much as, or even more than, you paid for it.

Good luck with it!

Fred

Mickey

The Devil made me do it! Son and I drove down to Salem last night to take a look. We came home with a couple hundred lb of iron. :) I'm now the half owner in an old hit-n-miss engine.

Turns out this wasn't a Jaeger but an ARCO. Both were made by Hercules and look very similar. The ARCO's were use on orchard sprayers made by Haynes. Engine is likely to be from the mid-20's. It still has a fair amount of the original paint, several decals and faint signs of striping.

Fellow we bought it from said it hasn't been running for at least 20 yrs. The engine has been in his family since he was a small child and he looked to be in his mid to late 60's. Engine is free, can't feel any bearing play on the crank or rod. The down side is it is dirty. Except for one oiler the engine uses grease for lube and there is caked on grease in a lot of areas. Going to take a lot more work to make this engine run. First step is to get all the crud off it and likely are going to have to remove a number of parts and wire brush off the rust so they can move freely.

One thing we noted was there is nothing but surface rust on the flywheels so that means the engine has never been laying on its side outdoors for extended periods.

Here's a video of an engine just like we bought but for sure a lot cleaner. Can't believe this engine can run SO slow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc5fd1tBxnw]1923 Arco "FW" 2HP Hit & Miss Gasoline Engine (Manufactured by Hercules) - YouTube[/ame]

Mickey

Wouldn't you just know it? Spent several hrs trying to clean all the caked on grease off. Got most of it done but cosmetically, still doesn't shine like a new penny. But then it's not exactly new. Son did some checking and it is a 1922 model. Dang! almost as old as me and as old as Doug keeps trying to make us believe he is. :D

Think with a little work cleaning up the fuel system and finding out what is causing the exhaust rod assy to hang up just enough to keep the valve from seating, she may be ready for a trial run.

Along with finding out what its age is, also found out almost any part needed is available. Looks like the weak point with the design is, since most everything is lubed by grease, it's hard to keep the wrist pin lubed as it has no grease cup.

Mickey

Got to work on the engine yesterday and cleaned a couple lbs of caked on grease off it. Last night my son came over and we started taking stock on what we bought. First off, it is a 1922 model. Think I remember that yr. :D

Way more wear and tear on the vlave train than we would have liked. Gonna take a fair amount of work making repairs to tightening things up before we'll try and get it running. The Mag also needs some work on it to get it functioning better. Fortunately with having a mill and lathe, we won't have to farm out this work.

Dougster
Fortunately with having a mill and lathe, we won't have to farm out this work.

Awful nice to have them big boy toys sitting there ready for use! :happy34: :happy34: :happy34:

Dougster