Tractor Farm and Family
alleyyooper

Tank leak

alleyyooper

I need to pull the gas tank off my Ford 5000. Can I pull it with out removing the steering wheel and insterment cluster?

:D Al

alleyyooper

Ok bit the bullet and started in on the tank. Didn't have to remove the steering wheel or the tank cover but may need a 3d and 4th hand when reinstalling it.

090613_0788_zpsb74b2360.jpg

090613_0787_zpsd323411e.jpg

Once out I removed the fuel gauge float and the pick up idem. Put a bolt in the pick up hole and duck taped the hole for the float assembly. put a gallon of laqure thinner in it taped the gas cap hole with duck tape and let it set for a few hours turning is every so ofetn to cllean the insides.

090613_0789_zps2a128a39.jpg

Second day drained the thinner out and allowed it to air dry the rest of the day.

3d day I got the sealer left over from doing my 1938 101R Massey Harris tank back in 1998. It is still good so I stured it up and poured it in the tank. followed the instructions from there.

090613_0791_zps5173862d.jpg

090613_0792_zps53f5f379.jpg

Should be ready to reinstall today but I don't have the time to do it so it will get to air dry till Friday. Thats Ok as I want to stuff some JB weld in the crack I see on the bottom of the tank seam on the out side. Plus a bit of paint would be nice.

alleyyooper

Yes takes time but with the cost of fuel I feel it is time well spent.

The fuel tank on my 1938 101R is still holding strong 18 years later

alleyyooper

A late update. The sealer dried and I reinstalled the tank. Wish I would have taken a picture of the ignition switch wires first though.

Two wires came off during the reinstall and I had to find a wire schematic first then blow it up big enough to make out where the wires went and learn about all the mistakes in/on it. Use the digital multa meter to finally get the tractor to start and run two weeks after I had the thank back on.

But the tank is full of fuel and not one drop is leaking out any longer.

Here is the wiring diagram. You can use paint to blow it up to read able.

scan0004_zps2881d93a.jpg

there is a wire connector just in front of the tank cover. People kept telling me that wasn't stock wiring but a friends British 5000 has it and one of his friends with a 2000 gasser also has it.

TFF Admin

The fuel tank on my 4410 is leaking. Very slowly but just enough to notice. So far it is NOT worth the hell it will take to remove the tank and either repair or replace it. It is a plastic tank. Just about everything on these John Deere compact tractors is very difficult to get to and work on.