Tractor Farm And Family  

Go Back   Tractor Farm And Family > HOBBIES & AREAS OF INTERESTS! > Country and Rural Living > Off Grid & Independent Living

Off Grid & Independent Living Discussions on off grid living and independent living free of conventional & traditional dependent services

Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Dougster is on a distinguished road
Harbor Freight's New "Predator" Generators...

By now, most folks know that HF has finally released its new "Predator" series of emergency generators or, more simply, its new "red" line of emergency generators:

http://www.harborfreight.com/predato...tm_source=1003

Different models have appeared in various HF stores even as they continue to clear out their old blue line of generators.

Several differences are immediately noticeable:

1) The largest model, now uprated to 7,000 watts (continuous), is still electric start capable... but no longer comes with wheels.

2) The second largest model, rated 5,500 watts (continuous), is no longer electric start capable. No wheels there either.

3) A wheel kit is rumored to be coming for both of the above units, but it is still not available as of this writing.

4) All of the Predator generators use HF's proprietary Predator engines. No big surprise about that. They are still made in China... but not by the same companies that made the engines for the blue series generators.

5) Interestingly, both the 7,000 watt and 5,500 watt (continuous) rated generators now use the same Predator 420 cc engine.

6) The smaller 3,200 watt (continuous) 212 cc model now offers 240 volt support. It's not enough power to heat hot water or cook with an electric range, but it will at least run a clothes dryer sans heat.

7) Warranty is still just 90 days. Awfully disappointing in this day and age when Champion is offering 1 year or even 2 years depending on model and where you buy.

Dougster
Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mickey is on a distinguished road
The warranty has to say something about how HF feels about their own product. But that's just me spouting off.

"democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." :Thomas Jefferson

May the most you wish for be the lest you get, but work for it. : Ray Briem
Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Dougster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
The warranty has to say something about how HF feels about their own product. But that's just me spouting off.
Actually, despite what the boxes in some stores may say, I think that Champion has gone to 2-year warranty on all their generators now... but I'd sure check with them before buying one that came in a box still labeled "1-year warranty."

Mine came with a very clearly stated 2-year warranty.

I really thought that HF was going to go to a full 1-year warranty on the new red series generators. Quite a disappointment, actually.

Dougster