Tractor Farm And Family  

Go Back   Tractor Farm And Family > HOBBIES & AREAS OF INTERESTS! > Country and Rural Living

Country and Rural Living Discussions on rural country living and rural community life.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Apprentice Tree Farmacist

TFF Admin is on a distinguished road
Log Cabin Mennonite Hand Built I Passed up Recently

While I was shopping around looking for a workshop barn storage building, I went up to Centerville,TN to the Mennonite community and looked at buildings. A number of Mennonite families build these buildings and will deliver them as well as set them up on a foundation for you.

I came across these cabins that a customer had ordered and then backed out on. I was considering buying them for my hunt clubs and we haggled a bit on price but finally settled on $6500 each delivered if I bought both.

These are not true log cabins but are log sided cabins. The logs are cut in half and then attached to the cabin frame and arranged just like a log cabin would be. This has the advantatge of not only maintaining the look of a true log cabin, but allows flat framed walls in the interior.

The interiors are finished in local cut red cedar on the floors, walls, and ceilings. The walls are insulated. The cabin is wired for walk plugs, light switches, and a ceiling fan standard as well as can be wired for other things like a stove. One wall on each cabin has a cut out to allow for a heat pump or other heating system.

The cabins come standard with a steel roof, a roofed front porch, and are 12' x 20' is size if I recall correctly.

The exterior logging is preserved with a weather resistant stain that requires periodic refinishing.

I thought these cabins were absolutely gorgeous, especially for the price being asked.

I think they would make a fantastic hunting cabin or even just an extra room for guests who may come to visit not to mention a great home for an elderly parent or family member.

I thought you all might enjoy having a look! I love how they look and how they are built. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0225.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	7182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	7183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	7184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	7185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7186  

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	7187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	7188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	7189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	7190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	7191  

Name:	IMG_0235.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	7192  

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Deberosa will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Deberosa
I really like the interior.

What are they roofed with - it looks like it's covered with something?

Cool Pictures!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberosa View Post
I really like the interior.

What are they roofed with - it looks like it's covered with something?

Cool Pictures!
These cabins are not 100% finished yet because they had no idea what color and type of roof the buyer will want so they were temporarily covered with plastic to protect them until a buyer decided what color roofing they wanted.

I think I would go with green. These cabins come standard with steel roofing. You get your choice of about a dozen colors. The steel metal roofing factory is just down the road about a 1/4 mile from where these cabins were.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Old 07-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

SHARTEL is on a distinguished road
Interesting Style.

The exterior is OK and might look good if your property, home and out buildings are built with the log home theme....but the interior is outstanding. Nothing man made reminds me of nature more than fresh cut Cedar.

The price is a bargain compared to what's popular Down here, folks pay that much for the same size Morgan style wooden building, a few doors and windows included. But...it's a storage shed or can be converted to (at owners expense) a work shop (electrical, plumbing etc.). No metal roof on these either.

How do the Mennonite's deliver a building that big? Surely not horse drawn is it ?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARTEL View Post
Interesting Style.

The exterior is OK and might look good if your property, home and out buildings are built with the log home theme....but the interior is outstanding. Nothing man made reminds me of nature more than fresh cut Cedar.

The price is a bargain compared to what's popular Down here, folks pay that much for the same size Morgan style wooden building, a few doors and windows included. But...it's a storage shed or can be converted to (at owners expense) a work shop (electrical, plumbing etc.). No metal roof on these either.

How do the Mennonite's deliver a building that big? Surely not horse drawn is it ?
These buildings shown are what the Miller Family builds. There are several other familys that build cabins that use either western cedar, T-111, or steel siding.

These buildings in the pics have no roof on them because the original customer who ordered them backed out and they were trying to sell them to recover their costs. They come with a steel roof of your choice of colors available along with the roofed porch.

They deliver the buildings on a trailer. The buildings are built usually on 4" x 6" skids and winched up onto a trailer built with rollers. The max. size building that can be delivered is a 16' x 40' but that is the extreme. Most stay below 14' width and 30' length due to special permits and difficulty delivering and set up.

You can order just a plain storage shed or barn and then convert or modify it as you like or you can arrange to have them build it like you want it for extra cost.

They showed me a 14' x 40' building they were working on that was being fully finished out for a neighboring family to live in.

George Washington

Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 AM

flman is on a distinguished road
They do a nice job, are they like a religious community? We have the Bruderhoff in our area, and they are some great crafts men as well.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM

urednecku is on a distinguished road
I think you got a heck of a deal. I love the look, and craftsmanship, of those!!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

chrpmaster is on a distinguished road
We have some Mennonite and Apostolic families in our area. Somehow their religions are related though I'm not sure how. I went to high school with several Apostolics. Nice people and very conservative. There were two main families who had big family businesses in honey production and turkeys.

We also have lots of Amish in our area and they are the ones who don't use electricity in their homes nor engine powered equipment, the guys all have the beards with no mustache, homemade clothes with no zippers or belts and they drive the horse and buggies. Around here they are known for being good construction people. I have used an Amish guy when I finished our downstairs bathroom he custom made the cabinets.

Apostolics use electricity and drive cars but don't have TV's or stereos in their home. The women always wear dresses and little bonnets when out in public. The kids are known for being kind of wild until they join the church (normally after high school) then they switch to the conservative lifestyle. As I understand it the Mennonites use more of the "modern" conveniences than the Apostolics.

Randy so did you get these or not? They sure look like nice buildings for the money.

Having government manage your health care is like having Michael Vick watch your dog.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting to see what they will have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

Last edited by chrpmaster; 07-02-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
They do a nice job, are they like a religious community? We have the Bruderhoff in our area, and they are some great crafts men as well.
Yes INDEED they do nice work. They are a religious community and have their own ways as well as separate themselves to a degree from the "conventional community" but one has to be VERY careful as there are those who abuse it.

There are REAL Mennonites and then there are what I call "Pretendonnites". The later are a bunch of huksters and con men. You will READILY know the difference between the two when you speak with a real Mennonite family.

George Washington

Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrpmaster View Post
As I understand it the Mennonites use more of the "modern" conveniences than the Apostolics.

Randy so did you get these or not? They sure look like nice buildings for the money.
The Mennonites vary by family and particular area as to what modern conveniences they allow. But, yes, they employ more of the modern things. The millers, had a real nice solar powered house on a battery bank, which fed into a inverter. They also used a 3-71 series diesel generator to run the shop wood working equipment and as a backup generator which ran on home made biodiesel. I spend as much time talking to the Millers about their solar and diesel power set up and shop as I did about these cabins.

No, Andy, I didn't have a need or use for them at the time. I thought perhaps one of my hunt clubs might want them. I was actually there looking at workshop/barn/sheds, when I saw the cabins and asked them about them.

If anyone wants to make the trip, this area where these Mennonite families and community live is where we have our local Appleseed Shoots.....you could come down for an Appleseed Shoot and get the grand tour of what the local Mennonite Community offers.

George Washington

Tags
cabin, mennonite