Tractor Farm And Family  

Go Back   Tractor Farm And Family > Full Sized Agricultural Tractor > Full Sized Agricultural Tractor > John Deere

Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 AM

bigugly11 is on a distinguished road
hyd pto problem

For the first time this year, I install my bushhog on my (John Deere Farm Tractor...Model- 2030A) with the idea of cutting some tall weeds and small brush. I started the tractor and when engaging hydraulic PTO control lever (the handle to engage the PTO locate between the transmission gear shifters) it felt and sound different but the PTO shaft and bush started turning and increased in rpm.....there appeared to be no problem. With the proper PTO (engine rpm) rpm I lower the bushhog into weed that where about 36 inches tall and started to mow and in about 30 seconds the PTO and bushhog shaft come to a complete stop. I raised the bushhog and the PTO RPM came back to normal RPM. Lowered the bushhog as to mow again and with 30 seconds the PTO and bushhog shaft come to a complete stop, again.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? I would appreciate help with this.

Thanks,
Wayne...bigugly11
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 AM

flman is on a distinguished road
Is the hydraulic fluid getting low? Hydraulic filter getting plugged up?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Apprentice Tree Farmacist

TFF Admin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigugly11 View Post
For the first time this year, I install my bushhog on my (John Deere Farm Tractor...Model- 2030A) with the idea of cutting some tall weeds and small brush. I started the tractor and when engaging hydraulic PTO control lever (the handle to engage the PTO locate between the transmission gear shifters) it felt and sound different but the PTO shaft and bush started turning and increased in rpm.....there appeared to be no problem. With the proper PTO (engine rpm) rpm I lower the bushhog into weed that where about 36 inches tall and started to mow and in about 30 seconds the PTO and bushhog shaft come to a complete stop. I raised the bushhog and the PTO RPM came back to normal RPM. Lowered the bushhog as to mow again and with 30 seconds the PTO and bushhog shaft come to a complete stop, again.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? I would appreciate help with this.

Thanks,
Wayne...bigugly11
Welcome to Tractor Farm and Family Wayne! Sorry to hear of the pto problems you are encountering. The John Deere 2030 I believe came with the HLR transmission which were known to blow clutch pack seals which in turn if not a total loss of pressure led to the clutch pack being damaged. When the pto starts slipping, do you still have power steering?

This problem exhibits symptoms that could be from a number of issues:

1. A blown, worn, or badly leaking piston seal in the pto clutch pack.

2. Although unlikely, the pto clutch pack clutches and frictions plates could be worn beyond limits.

3. Very low hydraulic pressure. Have you checked the condition of the hydraulic oil? Is a nice clear maple syrup color or is it milky colored? If milky colored, this is consistent with water contamination. This can restrict or clog hydraulic filters eventually as well as cause damage to the pump and other components in the hydraulic system.

4. Somewhere, in the hydraulic circuit for the pto system a packing or o-ring may be leaking or blown and causing a hydraulic pressure drop which in turn is causing the pto clutch pack to slip.

I would suggest the following: Here is where I strongly recommend you obtain a shop manual for your tractor, you will need it to verify pressures, where pressure ports are, special tools, and troubleshooting procedures

1. Check the condition and for propery service level of the hydraulic fluid.

2. If the fluid condition & level looks good, try and borrow a hydraulic test gauge in the pressure range of 0 - 3,000 psi and test the hydraulic system pressure. Refer to a shop manual for proper pressure figures and locations to test pressure from.

If your hydraulic oil looks clean, first check the filters and suction screen in the transmission for blockage.

If the filters and seals are good, the hydraulic pump could be getting weak and need a rebuild, adjustment, or again check filters.

I hope the problem is something simple like the fluid level or filters. If not, you are NOT gonna like the next steps to fix this problem. In the mean time DO NOT operate the pto. If the clutch pack is starved for hydraulic oil and you attempt to place a load on the pto, you can burn up the clutches and disks warping them which will require a rebuild kit.

Let's start with the first and most basic step and eliminate any basic problems first and then move to the other stuff.

Good luck and be sure to follow up with what you find out and post your findings.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM

D-M is on a distinguished road
My vote goes to loss of pressure to the PTO clutch pack...

If you decide to change the oil, i'd be careful about useing "off brand" oil or filters. It's one of the reasons i don't favor Deere's, they use too many spl. parts, and need Deere oil ect... That keeps you going to a Deere dealer. (read expensive)

DM
Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 PM

bigugly11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFF Admin View Post
Welcome to Tractor Farm and Family Wayne! Sorry to hear of the pto problems you are encountering. The John Deere 2030 I believe came with the HLR transmission which were known to blow clutch pack seals which in turn if not a total loss of pressure led to the clutch pack being damaged.

When the pto starts slipping, do you still have power steering?
I have power steering, front end loader and three point hitch seems to work as before.

This problem exhibits symptoms that could be from a number of issues:

1. A blown, worn, or badly leaking piston seal in the pto clutch pack.

2. Although unlikely, the pto clutch pack clutches and frictions plates could be worn beyond limits.

3. Very low hydraulic pressure. Have you checked the condition of the hydraulic oil? Is a nice clear maple syrup color or is it milky colored? If milky colored, this is consistent with water contamination. This can restrict or clog hydraulic filters eventually as well as cause damage to the pump and other components in the hydraulic system.
The hydraulic is clear and at the proper level.

4. Somewhere, in the hydraulic circuit for the pto system a packing or o-ring may be leaking or blown and causing a hydraulic pressure drop which in turn is causing the pto clutch pack to slip.
This is what could be the problem because when I engaged the
hydraulic PTO control lever....it did not feel right nor sound right. When I move the level to engage it felt like it broke free..move rest of the way easier than is has in the past plus it made a snap/pop noise.

I would suggest the following: Here is where I strongly recommend you obtain a shop manual for your tractor, you will need it to verify pressures, where pressure ports are, special tools, and troubleshooting procedures
I have a shop manual and will try to obtain a hydraulic test gauge.

1. Check the condition and for propery service level of the hydraulic fluid. The hydraulic is clear and at the proper level.

2. If the fluid condition & level looks good, try and borrow a hydraulic test gauge in the pressure range of 0 - 3,000 psi and test the hydraulic system pressure. Refer to a shop manual for proper pressure figures and locations to test pressure from. The shop manual give a caution....if the brake or clutch pressure is lower than specified (do not know-no pressure gauge) or if the PTO shaft turns (the shaft does turn) when the level is disengaged, DO NOT put the PTO under load until these conditions are corrected. I do not plan on using the tractor for any reason until these conditions are corrected. I do need it to gather firewood.

If your hydraulic oil looks clean, first check the filters and suction screen in the transmission for blockage. I have not check the filters mainly because the rest of the hydraulic system work.

If the filters and seals are good, the pump could be getting weak and need a rebuild, adjustment, or again check filters.

I hope the problem is something simple like the fluid level or filters. If not, you are NOT gonna like the next steps to fix this problem. In the mean time DO NOT operate the pto. If the clutch pack is starved for hydraulic oil and you attempt to place a load on the pto, you can burn up the clutches and disks warping them which will require a rebuild kit.

Let's start with the first and most basic step and eliminate any basic problems first and then move to the other stuff.

Good luck and be sure to follow up with what you find out and post your findings.
Thanks for the information!

Bigugly11